Wednesday 5 September 2012

Unbalanced

Says who pregnant women are subjected to odd mood swings that drive men mad. That's bloody stereotyping that is. Look for example at the classic case of my writing timeline. I find that in order for me to be satisfied with what I put down in virtual paper, I need to be in a humourous mood to write something that make's me laugh. Possibly this might strike you as slightly self absorbed. It is. I don't intend to please people out there with the way I write. Why? because there are too many of them. Each person is as fickle as the other and in the end I might just be better off sitting in a corner and smashing my head against a wall screaming about why elephants cant jump. Which incidentally is a unanswered question. Maybe they are too heavy.

A persons mood very well dictates what he/ she is inclined to do next. An angry person may stab you, a sad person will cry, and then will stab you and a happy person will tell you a great joke about muesli and then stab you. Only the way those stabs are stabbed are miles apart in distinction. The angry man will stab you and you will die. The crying man will stab you with his sorrow and you will cry too and the happy man will stab you with his finger in the gut and go "aha, got cha!"

Let me take a moment to think why I pursued this topic in the first place.... Ah yes. Sherlock Holmes. Ah, didn't think I would go there will you? Why this man you ask? Well, why not? Its a common fact for all Holmes readers to realise that he is a man of terrible mood swings. He can be comatose at one point and then full of energy the next. I've taken a fascination to this man. His methods of deduction are to the common man a power. But it isn't. As he (or rather Conan Dolye puts it) states, the most complicated deductions are formed from noticing the most simplest details.

What is the conclusion? Look. Think. Act. I've been watching too much of Holmes lately. It has reached a  point where Jeremy Brett who played him in the Granada series, has his voice stuck in my head. That is true acting on his part. The only person capable of playing Holmes that well is certainly Benedict Cumberbatch from the new BBC program.

Oh yes. Just to point out. Holmes never said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
What he did say was this.


When you have eliminated all the impossible, the remaining, however improbable must be the truth...

2 comments: