Sunday 14 October 2012

Say no to iPad's, say yes to colouring books...

I go to shopping malls, really only to pass the time. I have absolutely nothing to do there. The only reason I like going is to look at people. Call me a pervert, a voyeur or simple observant of the human nature, call me whatever the hell you want. I don't give a rats fart. See, when you look at people we tend to see the general characteristics of each person shows you their interaction, are they loners or lover's, mothers and fathers, mom and child, father and daughter or grandpa and Tom? You see the family dynamic and the family characteristic. What this all does is it gives you a wider perception of the human nature. We have been in this world for the last 200,000 years believe it or not and we seem to have come far from caves and loin cloths to skyscrapers and... well, looking at the way some people dress, still loincloths.

But one thing really get's on my nerves. It's a growing trend in the recent years that I can only blame on the new generation of parents. The generation Y or something, ask my dad, he seems to know. Anyway, the kids from these people, they don't live like the way we used to. All of them, out to dinner will be lined up in a restaurant with bloody iPad's or and iPhone or a Playstation Vita or something of the kind. They never talk, interact, play with each other the way that I used to with my cousins or my parent's when we went out to dinner. I mean, if I had had a chance to get my rather small fingers at the time on my dad's handphone to play something, he'd take it away from me and tell me to talk to others. Even now, I never use my phone at a dinner table when I'm with family. It's just bad manners. Like thats not bad enough, the parent's themselves are on the same device themselves. Family time seems to be no time at all?

The real point I'm trying to drive at is why the hell do these Godforsaken, idiotic, stupid and brainless parents buy these thing's for their kids in the first place. I notice that when a child cries in public, basically making a tantrum, he get's what he wants. No questions asked. If I tried that with my parent's they'd tell me to shut up and give me a smack. Nowadays, I don't roll on the floor asking for something. If I ask and the answer is no, the I don't get it. Kids aren't getting smarter, its parent's who are getting dumber. Look, we have had the chance to get our act together for the last 50,000 years when humans started to exhibit full behavioural modernity. Parenting had well begun before that, but literally the 'book' on parenting had started its first pages in those early days. Surely we would have made a few rules that we can live by at the very least. Like not giving into your child whenever they make a fuss.

We used to have a perception that every rich kid was a spoilt brat that only went to exclusive schools and have the best clothes and toys and books to read and play with. That perception, due to the fact that the living standards since the 60's has changed and now almost any child from any class of life is as spoilt as the other. Isn't that a happiness inducing thought.

Parent's. Get a grip. Just because you never had an iPad when you were young doesn't make it allright to make sure your child needs to have one. Let him play outside. Make him toys from twigs and teach him how to climb a bloody tree. Is there are any left. Think, before you buy a thing like that whether it really makes your child happy in the long term or just for the moment. Buy him books, instead, at least that makes the world a smarter and well read place. You will get rid of racism and social judgement. The world will be a better place, trust me.




No comments:

Post a Comment